Why Get Involved?
United Way of Chelan and Douglas Counties is a local, nonprofit organization advancing the common good. We focus on early learning, alleviation of poverty and youth engagement. Our goal is to transform lives by bringing people, resources, and strategy together to solve our community's toughest challenges.
Why should I give to
Because no other organization meets all of the needs addressed by United Way.
• United Way focuses on breaking the cycle of poverty, preparing our youngest children and youth for a life of possibilities.
• Your contribution works right here in your own community.
• United Way not only meets needs today, we're working on solutions for lasting change.
• United Way makes it easy to give and raises the level of philanthropy for the whole community. Together, we make a stronger impact.
Why should I give my money to United Way and not just directly to agencies?
United Way does much more than simply collect and distribute money. Through its local community fund United Way provides a strong ARM for community change: Assessing needs, Responding and Measuring results.
• United Way monitors programs that receive grants to ensure they follow sound fiscal policies and provide effective services. Careful stewardship is valuable to donors who want their contribution to make the greatest impact. (This oversight is not provided for donations designated directly to agencies.)
• United Way works two ways: meeting immediate needs and addressing the underlying causes of problems for long-term results.
• United Way looks for gaps and duplications to ensure that the services needed in our community are available.
• United Way affiliation enables agencies to leverage public and private funding. This multiplies the effect of your contribution.
How is my gift invested?
United Way focuses investing and advocating for strategies aligned in:
• Early Learning - Removing early childhood barriers so every child has the potential to succeed
• Alleviation of Poverty – Alleviating poverty by promoting accessibility of opportunities and resources
• Youth Engagement – Creating lifelong volunteers, donors, and advocates
• Meeting Basic Needs: Helping individuals and families struggling today to have food and shelter.
Why should I give through payroll deduction at my workplace?
Payroll deduction offers a number of advantages. It's efficient: lower fundraising costs mean more money is invested in our community. It's convenient: you decide what to contribute and it comes right out of your paycheck a little at a time.
Why does United Way support some agencies and not others?
United Way funds solutions. Providing grants to agencies is one way of achieving our goals. We fund local programs that provide critical services, address our focus areas, produce measurable and effective results and meet priority needs for people.
A community becomes your place in the world that allows you and your family members to have a sense of belonging. You have the opportunity to make great friends and shape the direction your community is headed. A community becomes your place in the world that allows you and your family members to have a sense of belonging. It is easy to feel disconnected and hard to find time to be involved in your community. Many of us juggle work, school, kids, and activity after activity. Try rethinking some of your time as a family and what you can do together to make a difference. You could select just one or two projects a year and make them a family tradition.